Melbourne Business Information
Before I tell you about doing business in Melbourne, let’s take a quick look at the history of Melbourne…
Founded by free-settlers in 1835, 47 years after the first European settlement of Australia,
the famous Victorian gold rush of the 1850s transformed Melbourne from a small pastoral settlement situated around the Yarra River into a vibrant metropolis.
So much so that by 1865, Australian’s were calling the city “Marvelous Melbourne”
Melbourne even served as the temporary national capital from the Federation of Australia in 1901 until the construction of Canberra in 1927.
The City of Melbourne (pronounced Mel-ban NOT Mel-bourne) is located on the south -east part of Australia and has the second highest population of any Australian city – approximately 3.7 million.
Melbourne is the state capital of Victoria and is home to over 70% of all Victorians. The positive outlook of its people makes Melbourne is a great place to be in business.
Today, Melbourne is a major centre of commerce, industry and cultural activity. Melbourne has a well-deserved reputation as the “cultural and sporting capital of Australia”.
A number of surveys have seen Melbourne voted one of the most livable cities in the World.
So What is it Like to Do Business in Melbourne?
Melbourne business owners are:
- Hard working
- Open to new ideas
- Passionate about the city and football!
- Turning to the Internet in great numbers
Melbourne is home to three of Australia’s largest business corporations:
2. BHP Billiton
3. and the National Australia Bank,
The Business Council of Australia, the Melbourne Business School, Australian Council of Trade Unions and many of the top companies listed on the Australian Stock Exchange have their headquarters in Melbourne.
Numerous multinational corporations also have their main Australian office in Melbourne.
- Melbourne is “the third largest Greek city in the world” according to the 2001 Australian Census, there were 151,785 ethnic Greeks in the metropolitan area, and 40.4 per cent of all Greek Australians live in Melbourne.
- Melbourne has some of the best restaurants in Australia making it the perfect city for a good business lunch.
- Melbourne is home to one of Australia’s most comprehensive business websites Melbourne Business Portal
- Melbourne’s current mayor, businessman John So, was Born in Hong Kong and was recently re-elected for a second consecutive term. His positive attitude and heart felt passion for ‘all things Melbourne’ has endeared him to people throughout Melbourne.
- Currently, 650,000 people live, work and visit inner city Melbourne each day – a whopping 25 per cent increase on just four years ago.
- Experts say that by 2014, that number will increase over 50 per cent again. In less than ten years from now, the inner city alone will host one million people each weekday.
If you are thinking of doing business in Melbourne, my advice is to ‘go for it’ Melbourne is great!